Sports Leadership Training course for young people
What is the Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership?
The Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership provides the starting point for learners aged 13 years and over who wish to develop their leadership skills, whilst under the direct supervision of their Tutor/Assessor or other suitably qualified adult.
The syllabus is designed to develop generic leadership skills that can be applied to a variety of sports and/or recreational situations as well as contributing to the personal development of the learner.
The Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership is a practical qualification in which learners must demonstrate their ability to lead others in simple sport/activity.
What will the Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership Tutor do?
Along with the support of the Local Sports Partnership, Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership Tutors will engage with selected schools, sports clubs and youth groups in the community to help empower local youths to develop their leadership skills.
Delivering the Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership will require that LSPs:
- Identify and nominate suitable Tutors
- Identify and secure suitable Participant Groups
- Roll out the programme as per Sport Ireland Terms and Conditions
- Deliver and submit proof of all required modules to Sports Leader UK for verification
What skills are required to become a Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership Tutor?
Successful Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership Tutors should demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Have experience of working with sports clubs, schools and/or community groups
- Have experience of working with youths
- Have a keen interest in Sports or Leadership (or both)
- Have a variety of presentation skills including verbal, written, use of IT and practical delivery skills.
- Have the motivation to deliver a high quality programme
- Have a variety of group leading skills, both on a ‘one to one’ basis and on a ‘one to many’ basis.
- Have necessary skills to motivate, encourage and develop the participant’s ability to become more independent.
- Have appropriate professional and public liability insurance cover.
How to become a Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership Tutor?
Local Sports Partnerships (LSPs) may recruit individuals who are already actively involved, either in a voluntary or professional capacity, with schools, sports clubs, youth or other community based groups. Some LSPs may have existing capacity within their staff to implement this programme. The candidate must fill out a nomination form and submit it to their LSP.
Anyone wishing to deliver the Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership must undergo a ONE DAY training course (on Saturday 26th January) with Sport Ireland or a current accredited tutor.
The one-day Tutor training course will give a full insight into how the Sports Leaders UK sports leadership qualifications can be delivered. Information on the day will be via both theory and practical based sessions covering the following:
- Quality Assurance and paperwork requirements
- Assessment procedures
- Units, Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria
- Delivery ideas and activities
- Information on support after training
- Opportunities to share good practice
What happens when training is successfully completed?
Once the initial training day is successfully completed, Tutors must:
- Ensure they are Garda Vetted
- Sign a Heads of Agreement with Sport Ireland
- Sign a Contract for Services with their Local Sports Partnership
Sport Ireland also requires that all Tutors undergo the Safeguarding 1 – Basic Awareness Workshop.
LSPs will contact the Tutor, with details of the Group who will undergo the Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership.
Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership Tutors will receive all necessary resources required to deliver the programme prior to their first session in the community.
Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership Tutors should only agree to undertake a programme if they are able to deliver all of the required hours to fulfil the programme.
What will the Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership look like to participants?
The Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership consists of six units of work including one hour demonstration of leadership:
|1||Plan, lead and review a sport/activity|
|2||Developing leadership skills|
|3||Lead activities that promote a healthy lifestyle|
|4||Fair play in sport|
|5||The role of the official|
|6||Opportunities in sport and recreation|
The award will take approximately 20-23 guided learning hours. However, various factors such as the learner/tutor ratio, the number of learners, and the experience levels of the learners will influence the time allocated to the delivery of any given course.
Demonstration of Leadership
In order for learners to complete their Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership they must complete one hour demonstration of leadership. This element of the award is part of Unit 1; however the one hour demonstration of leadership must happen at the end of the course, after all of the taught aspects have been delivered.
If you wish to be considered as a tutor for this programme, then please contact Monaghan Sports Partnership for a nomination form.
Monaghan Sports Partnership
c/o Ballybay Civic Centre
Main Street, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan
042-9755126 / firstname.lastname@example.org
*The completion of a nomination form or enquiry does not guarantee selection as a tutor. Monaghan Sports Partnership reserves the right to make selection of tutors as appropriate based on previous experience, engagement with the Sports Partnership, suitability for the position, time availability and demand.